Thursday, November 3, 2016

social media

All day I've been wanting to write. It's my birthday. I've been thinking about the past year and all the things that have happened. I wanted to write about being a Mother an the fragility of life..I will get to those. A friend posted on facebook about "honesty" and what if we honestly answered when someone asked us what's on our mind. I know it was meant to be funny...and it is.

It also made me start thinking about social media in general. There are so many positives. Living so far away from my extended family and friends, sites like facebook has made it easier to stay in touch. I've connected with like-minded people. I've discovered amazing artists and musicians. Twitter has made being a fan of someone a great experience...I've had tweets liked by Jason Isbell and John Prine! You can interact with famous people, how cool is that?!?!?!

At the same time these sites have made us feel closer together, our actual human connections feel further apart. You can't have dinner without "checking in" on facebook and posting a picture of your plate on instagram. Everyones photos have filters to give them perfect skin and makeup or comical (I assume) butterfly crowns and flowers in their hair.

We are so tied to social media that we can't put our phones down. (I'm guilty sometimes) It seems like we have lost the ability to actually TALK to each other. To voice our opinions. To form opinions. Conversation used to be the way to truly get to know someone...not the persona they put up on social media. Not the polished, filtered pictures...the actual person.

I miss honesty.
I miss conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment