Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Elf on the Shelf...

I always feel like I need to explain myself, as a parent, why I don't do the Elf on the Shelf at Christmas time. I hear things like "it's tradition" or "it's magical for your children". Yes, I can imagine there would be alot of excitement every morning if the girls woke up and had been visited by a mischievous little creature the night before who made silly messes in the house and left little presents.

We have a dog. She's a mischievous little creature at times and leaves surprise "presents"...of knocked over trash cans and random chewed up tennis balls.

The main reason I don't do it is because it's creepy. It's an inanimate object coming to life while no one is watching and doing whatever the hell it feels like doing, without consequence. Songs with lyrics like "he sees you when you're sleeping..." are creepy enough. Ever watchful eyes, judging you.
Plus...the smile on the little fuckers face...he's pervy with a tinge of horror movie "I can spin my head around backwards while music boxes play"..nope. Not having it in my house.

Another reason is because I remember how crushed I was when I found out there wasn't a tooth fairy and there wasn't a Santa Clause. I can't imagine also finding out that these big elaborate, exciting, magical moments that happened every fucking day for a month, every year...were also fake. Tooth Fairy is never really believable anyway...so that doesn't hurt as bad. But Santa...that's a hard one to accept. Once I found out there was no Santa is when I started questioning religion and the presence of God. What else is made up by parents to keep children in line...?

I don't want my kids to have to deal with losing so much magic, all at once. Magical things are very important to all of us. In theory, we need to believe what we can't see...a Higher Power, being one example. A believe in Karma. Reincarnation, the powers of Mother Nature, etc...are what I want my kids to believe in. Things that are not tangible.

No comments:

Post a Comment