Sunday, June 7, 2015

Saints for the Sinner....

My townhouse backs up to a hill that has a Catholic cemetery at the top. I think where my house is there are unmarked graves underneath. I thought we had the ghost of a cat...but I think it's a child. And it's getting more comfortable with us...

I frequently hear noises similar to a "cat pounce" upstairs and on the stairs. I thought it was just noise from the neighbors...but it happens regardless if they are there. I've found random things moved...usually small toys or stuffed animals. I used to randomly see small, low to the ground movement like shadows out of the corner of my eye...now it happens almost daily. My brain says "oh it's just the cat"...but I don't have any of my cats here. 

It's not an evil spirit...at all. It's playful and curious. There's no bad vibe. When Blossom was here there were times when it was just me and her and she would all of a sudden start dancing around with her doggy face smiling....like someone was petting her or playing with her. She would also randomly go up and down stairs like someone was leading her. 

My jewelry box is large and in the floor. The girls know not to play with it. Ava used to take things out of it...but she now asks to play with my jewelry. Which I rarely decline. Yesterday, when I got home...I was alone. A few drawers in my jewelry box were open. I know it wasn't someone who broke in...because if theft were the case, they walked past a tv, laptop, tablets and my ring box (with the valuable stuff in it) sitting on top of the dresser in plain sight. I think it was a curious child. 

This morning, my curtains in my bedroom are open. I don't open my curtains up here. They're open like someone pushed them back to peak out the mini blinds. My view: a wooded hill with the tops of monuments peaking through trees. 

Maybe graves aren't under us. Maybe one of the child spirits from the cemetery latched on to me...since I walk up there when I need a dose of peace and tranquility. I don't mind...as long as things stay calm and don't get scary (for me or the girls). 


I'm not overly religious. I grew up with an atheist mother and a father who had his own web of Buddhism and Pentecostal teaching mixed. It was a very odd household when it came to talking about the afterlife and higher powers. I was allowed to go to any church I wanted to. I would go with friends to church. Any religion...I didn't care. I wanted to see how different people worshipped and what they believed. This started...my curiosity...started when I was 5. I started reading religious texts when I was still learning how to read Dr. Seuss. There has never been one religion that has spoken to me. I would never call myself this or that. But I do know religions I'm not a follower of...I'm not Jewish, Baptist, Pentecostal or Buddhist. Yes, I find inspiration in the teachings of Buddha but I'm not a follower.

 In 2002 I was given a book of Catholic Saints by an old Mexican woman. She was my ex husbands grandmother. She barely knew me but thought I needed her book. The family thought it was odd...since she didn't even let them look at her bibles and books and yet she gave one to a virtual stranger. I still have it and I have read it cover to cover several times. I am drawn to the stories of the saints. I am drawn to Catholicism. I remember being in highschool, volunteering at a soup kitchen and scrubbing pans with a Priest. He was happy in the back of the kitchen...he didn't need to be seen serving or using the fact he was volunteering as a way to get "cool points" like most of the volunteers did. His "vibe", his energy has always stayed with me. I know that I would not be accepted into the church because I am divorced and a single mother...but I can still read the stories of the Saints to my kids...I can still find peace amongst the artwork that adorns the mausoleums and graves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment